Saturday, December 21, 2019

Sprinting Towards the Finish Line 2019


Wind in my hair! Apples in my cheeks! Sweat in my shoes! 

Yes, it's nearly the end of the year and I'm scrambling to finish three more books by midnight December 31:

Middlemarch - George Eliot. This is doable. I'm 73% in, and I have a 4-hour layover in Denver. Gotta finish. Must finish to make my own personal goal of reading Middlemarch every ten years since 1999.

Black Beauty - Anna Sewell. BB was my choice for the above challenge, BOOK BINGO BLACKOUT in the category Classic I've Never Read. Cakewalk, right? Should I say Caketrot? No, because it's really not. So far, the horses have really looonnnggggg conversations about all the ways humans can be cruel. I'm not even that far along in the novel yet; Black Beauty is still having a great life, if you can overlook that bit business. I've already had my big shock though: Black Beauty is male! I never realized.

Spam: A Biography - Carolyn Wyman. I'm reading this for Novelty Book in BOOK BINGO BLACKOUT.  It's a compilation of history, trivia, cartoons, recipes, and articles about an interesting foodstuff. Put together in a patchworky manner that hearkens back to the days of 'zines, it's fun, and like it's subject, tolerable in short doses. I'm determined to finish, and perhaps even try one of the recipes.

I'll return to BOOK BINGO BLACKOUT at the beginning of the year to discuss my outcomes and to look with fresh eyes upon a whole new bingo board of challenges.

Meanwhile, Merry Readmas and Happy Book Year!

5 comments:

Sam said...

I hope you enjoy the holiday season, Susan, and look forward to hearing from you next year.

I've got high hopes for a Bookish 2020 and can't wait to turn the page on a fresh start.


Bybee said...

Sam, I'm already assembling a tidy stack for 2020!

Unruly Reader said...

Bybee, You Can Do It! So impressed by your sticking with Middlemarch, and I hope it's fulfilling.

Can't wait to see what you'll be reading in 2020 --

Bybee said...

Unruly, I finished Middlemarch on Christmas day. My gift to myself.

Melwyk said...

Congrats on finishing Middlemarch! It's worth the journey I think :) Looking forward to hearing all about your bookish 2020 too. I'm hoping to be around the book blogging world a bit more again in the new year.