Thursday, March 31, 2011

March 2011: Book Buying

I hadn't been to the Kyobo bookstore in Gwanghwamun since they remodeled, so when I was in Seoul for book group on March 20, I couldn't resist a little look-see. I had been so good all month.

As part of the upgrade, they added a particularly winsome shelf that they've labelled half in English and half in Korean. The English words say "Book" and "Die", so I'm assuming the staff has amassed their selections from 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. I found the first two books on the above receipt there. 84 Charing Cross Road was a nice surprise, but when I saw They Shoot Horses, Don't They? I breathed in sharply and muttered, "Omigod." BIG score. Big, big score. As Matthew Sweet put it in one of his songs, I've been waiting/and I want to have you... The woman next to me said, "I know. It's like a candy store."


Once again, it seems that Restraint is not my middle name, but looking at the particulars of my receipt, it seems that when I go into Kyobo, I am actually another person, so I can't be blamed for my dizzy behavior. This is entirely the work of "Suran Bylee".


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But better than a candy store, 'cause there's no calories!!

Unknown said...

On-line shopping is worse.. 'cause you can't feel the weight of the shopping cart.. I can just hear yes24 and interpark slowly nibbling down my purse..