Saturday, October 20, 2007

24-Hour Readathon Update

First of all, thanks to everyone that has visited me here and offered warm words and support.

I've been out visiting other reader's blogs, and they've been so good about updating that guilt began to munch at me in much the same way that Eva munched at those pumpernickel croutons a few hours ago.

Books read:
15 more pages of The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

2 chapters of Letty Fox: Her Luck by Christina Stead. [The first part of the novel is a flashback to Letty's childhood, and the second part details her own problems with romance as a young woman. Her family is completely whack; I can't imagine that Letty will turn out well with that background. In other hands, this would be a grandmama of chick lit, but there's nothing light and airy about Christina Stead's writing. If she were a meal, she'd be something heavy like beef stew with dumplings.]

5 chapters of Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer [This book is going fairly quickly, since I read it just last year. It's the next selection for my book group, which meets on November 4, if you happen to be in Seoul at the time.]

4-5 pages of The Idiot's Guide To The Titanic [This is a Mr. Bybee book. He was reading, would find something interesting, and pass the book for me to look. This book has been languishing on my bookshelves here in Korea since Mr. Bybee visited back in 2005. For some strange reason, the original copy of our marriage license is in there on page 100!]

5-7 stories in my American Splendor anthology. Even if it's in graphic novel format, can I count this as participating in the short story challenge?

Speaking of challenges, I inadvertently took Dewey up on her "Take A Walk" mini-challenge. I had to; the computer is at my office, a five-minute walk from my dorm sweet dorm.

What I'm wearing: I had to get dressed to walk across campus, so my present attire is: jeans, a University of Missouri sweatshirt and a St. Louis Cardinals t-shirt under that. It's turned off chilly the past couple of days. If I should freeze to death (highly unlikely) before the day is out, people will not be in doubt about my team loyalties.

Breaks: After teaching elementary schoolchildren yesterday, I couldn't go the distance. I confess to a 3-hour nap, and am feeling better. This was right after my 2.5 hour break to watch "The Great Escape".

Okay, that's my update. I'm back to visiting other people's blogs, then I'll head back to the apartment to read.

9 comments:

Eva said...

What a fun update! Naps are great. :) Sounds like you've been reading a lot; I'm interested in your final opinion of Extremely Loud, etc. I'm on the fence about whether it should go on my TBR list!

Chris said...

Idiot's Guide to the Titanic? Wow.

I have some encouragement for you on my blog.

Dewey said...

Please don't feel guilty! Everyone has a different approach to this and that's part of what makes it so fun. When someone doesn't update for a while, I get a happy little bookworm feeling inside thinking of them so engrossed in their books! Of course it's also fun when someone updates frequently, but it's the variety that makes it interesting.

Debi said...

Now that is definitely an odd place to store one's marriage certificate!
Good luck...sounds like you're doing fantastic!

Nyssaneala said...

I think you're doing great! Glad you got out and about for a walk.

Cheerleader Alisia

Literary Feline said...

It sounds like you are doing well wit the reading marathon. :-) I haven't yet read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, but I have read Everything is Illuminated which I really enjoyed.

Literary Feline said...

It sounds like you are doing well wit the reading marathon. :-) I haven't yet read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, but I have read Everything is Illuminated which I really enjoyed.

Carrie K said...

Sounds like a perfect filing system.

Oh rats! I meant to see if Christina Stead was the author of one of my books for the Reading Through the Decades challenge. Sidetracked.

Cheering you on!

alisonwonderland said...

i may have to have a nap too! :)