Monday, July 14, 2008

Weekly Geeks #11: Book Questions


Dewey's moving! I envy her. Every 3-4 years, I feel that I MUST move. I'm still hearing the rhythms of my childhood as a military brat. Anyway, Dewey needs help getting her books read, so she would like for her beloved geekish community to choose a book from her teetering pile and ask her three questions about it. If she chooses your questions, you could end up with that book, if it's hers to give away.

All of this makes me wild with antici...pation, because Dewey has a novel that I'm coveting to beat the band -- Free Food For Millionaires by Min Jin Lee. Love that title. Love the Korean connection. Now I've got to come up with dazzling questions. Ow. My brain hurts.
1. The protagonist of Free Food For Millionaires is a Korean-American. Is she part of the "one point five" generation, born in Korea then immigrated with her family at a young age, or is she a first generation American?
2. Have the protagonist's parents assimilated into American culture, or are they part of a strong Korean community that strives to hold onto their culture?
3. Does the whole novel take place in the United States, or is some of it set in Korea?
Wish me luck! Meanwhile, I'll continue to do my part by brainwashing myself into having a dream about a pig tonight, or sometime this week. (Pig dreams are really lucky -- unless a dog appears in the dream as well. A dog in your pig dream cancels your good luck.)

6 comments:

Eva said...

I totally feel you on the military brat necessity to move thing. That's the main reason I want to get into the foreign service! Oddly enough, my sister has no desire to ever move again, lol.

Dewey said...

You're right about the beloved part! I sure do love my geeks! :)

Hey, look, Eva has a new icon, and it's HER!

We moved a lot when I was a kid, too, but it had the opposite effect on me. I hate moving, so passionately. But this is a very exciting move, because I'm in love with our new house!

Anonymous said...

I love to move, too. Every 5 years or so... The last time I had my cards read, I was to move within 8 months - could happen any moment? Also, I'm wishing you LUCK to win the book. (it's the only one besides the Sedaris book I'd actually heard of. My brain is saturated with book titles) HOPE YOU WIN!

Bybee said...

Eva,
One of the Canadians in my book group is foreign service. She's getting ready to move again. I forgot where...seems like it was somewhere on the African continent.

Dewey,
I love the geeks, too!
Eva's icon is wonderful.

Care,
I want the Sedaris book as well, but thought I should try to tamp down my greed a trifle. Painful.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I love moving into a fresh new (to me) home ... it's like having a blank canvas to create your own haven.
Good Luck with your book choice!

Bybee said...

Book Zombie,
Yeah, I love that feel of blank new space, too.