Monday, October 10, 2022

Six In September

 Three audiobooks and three paper books! I like the symmetry:

1. Miss Kopp's Midnight Confessions - Amy Stewart. Novel. Audiobook. Christina Moore's narration is simply the best. Trust me.

2. Dust Bowl Girls - Lydia Reeder. Nonfiction. Audiobook. A barnstorming women's basketball team from a small Oklahoma college were trailblazers with a forward-thinking male coach who made them into champions. Their accomplishments were astonishing. I love how their story is told in such a sweet and conventional style, mostly through their own recollections. The juxtaposition gives the story a warmth and immediacy. I enjoyed the cameos featuring Babe Didrickson, who was handed one of her few defeats by our title heroines, and First Lady Lou Henry Hoover, who frowned on women playing any kind of sports. I was reminded of the movie A League of Their Own.

3. True Biz - Sara Novic. Novel.  A groundbreaking novel about Deaf culture, and the very real threat of extinction by the well-meaning hearing community, armed with imperfect technology. Thought-provoking. The ending seems open-ended. I'm hoping for a sequel.

4. Everybody Thought We Were Crazy - Mark Rozzo. Nonfiction. Actors Dennis Hopper and Brooke Hayward got married after a whirlwind romance in 1961. They quickly discovered they shared a love for modern, often unconventional art. For a brief time, everyone flocked to their home from Hollywood royalty to Andy Warhol to The Velvet Underground to The Byrds. Hopper also finds that he has a talent for photography. A dizzying look at Pop Culture. A fun read.

5. Miss Kopp Just Won't Quit - Amy Stewart.  Novel. Audiobook. I can't stop listening to this series, and I am not a series person. Miss Kopp gets better and better with each novel.

6. The Memoirs of Stockholm Sven - Nathaniel Ian Miller. Novel. In the 1910s and 20s, the title character feels like a misfit in Swedish society. He goes to work as a miner, and gets seriously injured. After that, he decides to go farther north and live as a hermit, hunting and trapping. Although he's awkward and unpolished, people warm to him, and life hands him a few surprises. The novel seems a little uneven, but I enjoyed Sven and his cohort and his many adventures.

3 comments:

Sam said...

As usual, some interesting titles, Susan. I can always count on you to come up with stuff I don't see anywhere else for the most part.

Bybee said...

Hi Sam! How have you been?
Yeah, my reading lists...it's what my bookworm brain looks like. Mazy and a little discolored.

Tara Omar said...

I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August of 2010. A precious friend told me about Dr Itua Herbal Center in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my cancer and i will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the fees which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure.I told Gomez my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after drinking it for two weeks i was cured I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with cancer to him and that what i'm doing.
Dr Itua told me he can cure the following disease.Cancer,Hiv/Aids,Herpes,Diabetes,Parkison,Copd,Hepatitis.. Here Is His Contact Info......[Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp...+2348149277967]