I gave up on a lot of books this year. For some reason, there's no longer that primal urge to hang on and keep reading until blood is popping from the pores on my forehead just for the sake of finishing. Now, if my brain says it's time to pack up and go, I start putting on my shoes.
None of these books is necessarily bad. It's true I did some flinging (tree books) or "Delete from Device" with a heavy finger (Kindle), but most of the time, it was just a mismatch of reader/mood/book/timing.
Whatever the reason, I can say with confidence that we are never ever getting back together.
In no particular order, here's my DNF list for 2014:
1. The Enormous Room - E.E. Cummings. (novel)
2. The Biography of a Prairie Girl - Eleanor Gates. (novel)
3. Babe: The Legend Comes to Life - Robert Creamer. (biography)
4. The Wife of Reilly - Jennifer Coburn. (novel)
5. Inside of a Dog: What Animals See, Smell and Know - Alexandra Horowitz. (nonfiction)
6. Effi Briest - Theodore Fontane. (novel)
7. The Mill River Recluse - Darcie Chan. (novel)
8. Godric - Frederick Buechner. (novel)