End of Event Meme:
Only 90 minutes left. Powered by a chocolate bar, I just finished The Homesman, a deserved Spur Award winner back in the late 1980s. All that reading's got me hungry. I'm thinking about my homemade chili.
1. What are you reading right now? The Homesman, by Glendon Swarthout.
2. How many books have you read so far? I'm on book #2.
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? The Homesman is a little twist on the pioneer stories I love, and there's a strong female lead character, so I'm looking forward to finishing it. Supposed to be a movie version soon. Great!
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Conditions are ideal, but I got k.o.'ed by The Sandman for 5 hours. I chafe at my limitations...oh well, this means I'll be sharp when others are weeping with fatigue.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? Can't think of anything. It's all good.
SEVEN hours in?! Really! I haven't read anything since my last update. I haven't slept, either. Just puttering around and charging my Kindle, which I forgot to do before we got started. I also ate an apple. Now the Kindle is showing a green light, so back to reading.
4 hours done. I just finished Dispatches From the Edge. Not an easy read, so I'm not sure what to read next. I've got to make a decision soon, because I'm starting to feel the familiar tiredness. My mind and body are telling me to go for the pajamas. They're telling me the softness, most snuggly pair. No, I won't do it.
2.5 hours in. Page 125 of Dispatches From the Edge. It's not a long book and it's written in straightforward language, but Cooper's themes are personal loss, war, natural disasters, starvation, and disaster, so it's not the sort of book one breezes through. I decided to stop and make myself some tea, which somehow became hot chocolate.
OK, now it begins! Here's the opening meme from the Readathon hosts:
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Busan, South Korea. It's 9 pm, straight up!