Sunday, May 18, 2014

Bookworm Breakfast


I recently read The Man Cave Cookbook, and it has come within a hairsbreadth of supplanting the 1978 Betty Crocker cookbook in my affections.  All those appetizers!  All those dazzling variations on meatloaf!  The stews!  I want to try it all.  I could fairly eat the pages.

I have to give a shout-out to one breakfast recipe, and it's a winner, although I was skeptical at first:

Peanut Butter Yogurt Oatmeal
3/4 cup of water
1/3 cup of quick cooking oats
1 Tbsp. all natural peanut butter
Single serving cup of yogurt (any kind you like)

Prepare the oatmeal. Let stand for 2 minutes and stir in peanut butter and yogurt. Stir and enjoy. Serves 1.

I used my instant oatmeal that I brought back to Korea last winter, and strawberry yogurt.  I didn't have all natural peanut butter, so I used Peter Pan Peanut Butter (smooth).

Delicious.  Real comfort food.  What I wasn't expecting was the EXTREME staying power of this breakfast.  Usually, if I don't eat every 3-4 hours, I feel like I'm going to pass out.  When I eat PBYO, I can go an amazing 6-7 hours without eating, and I have tons of energy.

Now I'm in crisis mode because I finally ran out of instant oatmeal packs.  Oatmeal in any form is a challenge to find here, but I'm determined to walk the peninsula if I have to.  I've got to have more of this magic food.

4 comments:

pablo said...

Try Googling Nice Deli Korea for your oatmeal fix.They're based in Pusan I think and will deliver.
Came across your blog purely by chance and surprised to see you're still in Korea!
Pablo

Bybee said...

Pablo,
Thanks, I owe you one!

Vasilly said...

I need to show my daughter this recipe!

Unknown said...

Pablo,

Long time. Give me an email at greggteacher@gmail.com

Gregg