Sunday, April 13, 2014

Book Buying Diet Update



Three weeks!  So far...not too bad.  I still get twinges*, of course.  The other book bloggers are so mean, dangling pretty new pages in front of me!  Wah!

Of course, I need to turn that way of thinking around, and trust that if I don't get the book right away, it won't disappear from the face of the Earth.  I just need to add it to my Wish List and believe that I'll see it again at a book swap, a library or as a gift.

I've channeled my book buying 3 ways since March 21.  I've managed to keep myself in books, and I've even figured out how to appease my One-Click craving.

I. The BEL (Busan English Library)**
1. The Great Gilly Hopkins - Katherine Paterson
2. Pearl Buck in China  - Hilary Spurling
3. The Wapshot Chronicle - John Cheever
4. What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank - Nathan Englander
5. I Love You, Beth Cooper! - Larry Doyle

II. The Busan Book Swap
1. Lost Memory of Skin - Russell Banks.  Score!  I circled this book for a year, and I have been rewarded for my restraint.
2. Duma Key - Stephen King
3. The Railway Man - Eric Lomax

III. Free Clicking***
1. The Monk - Matthew Gregory Lewis
2. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain.

***

* I'm really going to be twinge-y this week when the Pulitzers are announced.  My Pulitzer Fiction guess is The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, but, as always, I'd like to see Joyce Carol Oates win.

** BEL has a 5 book limit and a 2 weeks' checkout time.  I feel so Spartan.

*** One-Clicking for books that cost $0.00!  An elegant solution -- why didn't I think of it before?

No comments: