Monday, December 09, 2013

The TBR Triple Dog Dare Challenge


Yes, I'm brave enough to take the dare hosted by James at Ready When You Are, C.B.  It's not bravery I lack; it's perseverance; it's discipline; it's a good attention span.

To read only books I already own from Jan. 1-April 1 shouldn't be that difficult, right?  Yet for the past three years that James has done this challenge, I've let myself be distracted.  Last year, I only made it 11 books into the new year. I even remember the day: February 9, then I was blown off-course by A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, (and it wasn't even worth it).  I tried to right myself with a long-promised copy of Sharp Objects, but then Teri dangled the audiobook of Founding Mothers before me as well as an ebook of Where'd You Go, Bernadette -- What?  I was supposed to ignore lovely literary files dropping into my emailbox? -- anyway, that was that for the TBR Double Dog Dare.

Here I go again, but one thing that Operation Carb Face has taught me is that I need to mentally prepare. I've got 22 days. What steps can I take that will help me stick to my own shelves and not be beguiled by all the nice page-pretties that pop up on other blogs and on Goodreads and in a thousand other places?

3 comments:

Jeane said...

It's hard to resist all the other books begging our attention, isn't it? I've done the Dare for the past several years, but don't always make it through!

Unknown said...

I made it to the end, but still only read just over 11 books, so.....

I say do it as long as it's fun and getting 11 books off of your TBR pile is very, very good.

Vasilly said...

I'm not going to lie; I lack the same perseverance and discipline! :-) Good luck!