Monday, May 02, 2011

Author? Title?

Last night, I dreamt I went to Archer City again. Larry McMurtry didn't seem to be anywhere around. Secretly, I was a little relieved. Hero worship was so exhausting and time-consuming. I didn't have much time, and it was best spent looking for books.

While browsing through a particularly lip-smacking stack, I found an older novel with a green hardcover. The plot was about this ordinary guy who was the victim of a set-up. Serious crime or misdemeanor, I don't know, but the set-up was so cruelly and brilliantly executed that there was no chance of this guy ever clearing his name. Flipping through the pages, I understood that the book would detail the rest of his miserable life as a series of harshly slammed doors leading into smaller and smaller rooms. The novel was written in that precise and inexorable manner reminiscent of Edith Wharton, but it also had a gritty underside and was honeycombed with brutality like something by Jim Thompson.

What an incredible read! I had to have this book! I was shaking with the bibliophile version of buck fever. What was the title? Who wrote it? I flailed endlessly through the pages (around 400) until I fumbled onto the title page. Missing! Copyright page? Blurred beyond legibility. The cover? The spine?

I was just turning the book around to read the spine when I woke up in my own bed, thousands of miles from Archer City. My hands were clutching at nothing and yes, it was too dark to read.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO!!!! A dream so real it's almost, you know, real. I can't imagine anything more frustrating! Beautiful writing also, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Sounds more like a nightmare...you found the perfect book, yet you may never know what it is! Maybe tonight will bring part 3?

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's the book you are meant to write?

care said...

Yikes!