Tuesday, April 19, 2011

2011 Pulitzers: New Kid On The Shelf



Warmest congratulations to Jennifer Egan for winning the 2011 Pulitzer fiction prize for her novel, A Visit From The Goon Squad. I'm really looking forward to finding this book, reading it and adding it to my Pulitzer pile. I'm so torn. Should I order it online or cruise the bookstores until I find it here in Korea? These are the kinds of geeky decisions that make life enjoyable.


.

In the last hours before the announcement, I had reluctantly abandoned my first choice, Freedom by Jonathan Franzen because I had become firmly convinced that The Surrendered by Chang-Rae Lee would win. This is as close as I've ever gotten to being right about the Pulitzer -- Lee's book was also nominated. Now that it's out in paperback, my plan is to talk it up as a choice for either Bookleaves or Cracked Spinz.

2 comments:

SFP said...

I was surprised to see both The Surrendered and The Privilges as nominees as both were books I found on the "free books" shelf in the staff lounge. Someone doesn't like the good stuff!

Bybee, you asked who Scarlett Thomas was most like and I've been mulling it over and must confess that I truly can't come up with anyone. I think if you liked Kate Atkinson's Human Croquet or Emotionally Weird, then you'd probably like Thomas's writing. Or if you liked the movie Donnie Darko.

The End of Mr. Y has more narrative arc than the others, and it's where I started, so I'm going to suggest if you give her a try, that that might be the best one to go with.

Anonymous said...

I've been hearing mixed reviews from people who've read Goon Squad , which meant I was kind of surprised to take the Pulitzer! I knew it was nominated, but was kind of hoping that The Privileges would take the cake! Thanks for the update, though - without it, I fear I would have missed the announcement of the winner entirely!