Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lovesong Of The Library Loot


It would have been the perfect semester -- for a couple of weeks in September on Mondays and Tuesdays, I was in building "H" which is also home to the campus bakery. What a great way to start the week -- walking in the building and being overcome by that lovely smell, that bread perfume that comes wafting up from that first floor room where culinary alchemy is performed almost hourly. Then, on Thursdays and Fridays -- the library and my beloved 800s and 900s and the amiable self-checkout machine just one floor below my classroom. Life doesn't get much better than that.

Sadly, I lost the bakery building early on. It was too far from the building where I teach the hour before, so the office made up a new classroom schedule. Goodbye, bakery building, I hardly knew ye. But if I had to give up a building, it was easier to give up bakery smells than the book dust smell of my library.

Although I inhaled with great appreciation today, I left with only one book: Reading In The Dark: Using Film As A Tool In The English Classroom by John Golden. I love reading. I love movies. I love reading about movies, and I love all of that slapped onto a sesame seed pedagogical bun. Skimming through this book, I'm enjoying the movies and stories that Golden has picked out to discuss, and I plan to adapt his prediction/reaction charts for my own classes.

Thanks again, library.
I love you.
Smell ya later.

6 comments:

Care said...

I want this book now, too!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Ahh, the smell of fresh baked bread, theres nothing like it - no, not even the smell of books though these must come a close second.

jenclair said...

I'm eager to hear more about Reading in the Dark! I loved using film in my class room, and even though I no longer teach, this book is going on "the list."

Eva said...

hehehe "sesame seed pedagogical bun" That made my morning!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carrie K said...

Ah, the choice between the bakery smells and book smells - argh!

Reading in the Dark sounds like a fabulous resource.