Monday, March 30, 2009

Eventually, The New Will Wear Off


I really didn't mean to go to my library today, but I lost my attendance book and had to find it. Turns out I left it in the Administration building the day I got my faculty card. I was so giddy I walked out without it.

Relieved but still a little on edge, I decided to soothe my nerves with a trip to the building next door. Once I was in the stacks, I felt a little better. And if standing there looking at the shelves made me feel a little better, wouldn't taking some of what was on the shelves home with me get me all the way back to good?

Here's today's haul:


The Classic Era Of Crime Fiction - Peter Haining. Isn't it gorgeous? I couldn't resist. Damn, I miss coffee-table books!





Dr. Seuss: American Icon - Philip Nel. I would read it in a box/I would read it wearing socks.


.

.

The Moon And Sixpence - W. Somerset Maugham. I've been circling this novel for several years now. I'm under the impression I'll like it even better than I liked Of Human Bondage.

.

Dodsworth - Sinclair Lewis. He's a little out of style right now, but I'm just wild about Harry (his first name). When Jeopardy! periodically does a "Sinclair Lewis" category, I rule and the contestants drool. I was hoping to find It Can't Happen Here, but my library has only 3 copies of Dodsworth. That's okay; I haven't read it yet. After that, I'll check the DVD section and see if they have the 1936 movie version starring Walter Huston as the title character.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like another great haul from the library. I need to get back to my library, I'm thinking of taking some pics of the Stratford library and doing a thing on my blog soon. I'm sure you'll enjoy our little library.

Jenny said...

I loved The Moon and Sixpence (though I did love Of Human Bondage even better.) What loot!

Susan said...

Bybee: seriously, you have forgotten the power of a book to leap off the shelf in the library, convinced you are going to read it, so you lug it home, only to find 3 weeks later that you just can't get to it and what were you thinking, anyway? Otherwise known as library lure. :-D

the new will never wear off!!! "It's shiny, look! I haven't read it yet!"