Sunday, October 19, 2008

Readathon Hours 20 and 21: Hanging In

Hour 20, pages read: 12
Hour 21, pages read: 34

I'm thinking about a short dinner break, but also wondering if that might put the skids to me.

I've been reading When You Are Engulfed In Flames. So far my favorite essay is about Mrs. Peabody, the strange and somewhat trashy older woman who babysits for the Sedaris kids back in 1967. Shudder. I know that backscratcher; I've seen it a million times. I also like the reference David makes to his feet in Buddy, Can You Spare A Tie? "Thanks to bunions, my feet look like states now, the wide, boring states no one likes to drive through."

My Tough & Cool Inner Bookworm will hate for me to admit this, but my brain has huge spaces in it now. After reading a page or two, I've been drifting to the back cover where it says that the book is also available on Hachette Audio. Hachette -- they're the ones giving away the huge boxes of books. Although a huge box of books is something to always be desired, I can't get past that name, Hachette. All I can think of is a French-Canadian girl whose father is overly fond of chopping tools. They and the mother and six brothers of assorted ages live out in the country somewhere in Quebec. Somewhere with lots of trees.

Maybe dinner is a reasonable option. See you soon. I think. I hope.

2 comments:

jessi said...

I love Sedaris, but I haven't read his newest one yet. He's a great choice for the 'thon, though. :)

tanabata said...

I really want to read the Sedaris book. Hang in there, only a little bit left! :)