Thursday, September 25, 2008

Book Nightmares

My dreams have been uneasy lately, but they've also been bookish.

Book Nightmare #1: I traveled to Itaewon to visit What The Book? When I finally got to near the top of "Hooker Hill", I saw that it had closed its doors for good, and a seedy-looking bar was in its place. In shock and not knowing what to do, I went in and sat at the bar and drank a couple of beers and ate some anju.

For some reason, my Korean comprehension was perfect in this nightmare, and I overheard some whores sitting near me, talking about how they were just as glad that What The Book? was gone because the guys who had come out of that bookstore were always loaded down with heavy books and had never seemed really interested in what the whores had to sell. "This place better, because guys here want satisfy! No reading!" I wildly looked around at the male clientele. None of them seemed like they'd be a bit interested in joining BOOKLEAVES. Damn.

Book Nightmare #2: I was Jane Eyre. Mr. Rochester and I had just gotten married. His eyesight was fine again, but he'd picked up a nasty gambling habit. He spent all of our income at every gaming-house he passed. When I realized how bad things were, I started hiding a few pounds from him so we'd have enough for grocery money. Also, I was about 6 months pregnant.

Mr. Rochester discovered my hiding places, then he'd reproach me for hiding money from him: "Ah, Jane! You thought to hide money from me because you trust me not. How could you think so little Jane? I thought you loved your Edward!"

"I do love you," I told him. "But we must have something for victuals."

"And you thought I'd gamble away our money for sustenance? Jane, I would not do so. Give me the money. I promise I'll bring home a feast."

Long story short, he gambled away the grocery money, then complained about his reused teabag and stale bread with no butter.

I got a job as a substitute teacher in a middle school, and all the students were hellions. Most of the time, I was able to reason them into halfway decent behavior. One of the male students resembled both in looks and actions my unfortunate cousin John Reed. He didn't like the idea of detention, so he hit me across the stomach.

I was mightily sick of all this unpleasantness and began to wonder: "What would Bertha do? What would Bertha do? WWBD?" I wished that my predecessor were alive again and could attack all these troublesome people. Maybe she'd escaped the fire after all. One could hope.

13 comments:

Jeane said...

Your Jane Eyre nightmare is pretty funny! I had a dream once about Charlotte's Web (and it was not sweet) but I don't usually find books showing up in my dreams. Yet.

Eva said...

Those are some crazy dreams!

I've had nightmares for three nights in a row.

The first two nights, it involved a polar bear (no, seriously) attempting to eat me.

Last night, the nightmare was due to the fact that a friend and I adopted kittens, then left them in the car w/ the windows up while we went to a long lunch (?!?!). Fortunately, some police officer came and told us to save them in time. But it was awful.

I have insanely vivid dreams that I always remember and whenever I get sick, they're always nightmares. Boo.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

What's the quote about too many books addling your brain?! ~LOL~

Lisa said...

I have to say that your dreams are much more interesting than mine! I'm like Eva, mine are usually nightmares and I wake up scared to death.

ambearo said...

A kid hit you!?!? I mean, I know this is a book blog (and your dreams are pretty interesting) but how has no one commented on a kid hitting you! I would make that kid's life a living hell! Did anything become of the situation?

Anonymous said...

Gee, I was just about to sign up to be a subst teacher.

LOL - this was a crazy wild post!!! I hope you have some nice pleasant dreams soon.

jenclair said...

Jeez! Teaching dreams are my worst nightmares! I could deal with Mr. R. spending the grocery money, but subbing is only for heroes... I'd lock Mr. R. in the attic and set the place on fire if his gambling proclivities forced me to substitute.

Being a teacher is a dream job compared to subbing. Been there, done that. Actually, taught for donkey's years (and haven't had the "being in front of the class after failing to get dressed" nightmare in a long time).

Susan said...

So what did Mr R. look like? *sighs enviously* all I get are real nightmares where I and my dream family live in Shirley Jackson's Hill house!! We LIVE there! thankfully I woke up before the knocking began....

? said...

Hello!
I came by your blog today for the very first time. I've never been able to understand the passion that some have for blogging but I love reading stuff that awakens the mind and inflames the imagination. I think yours is an admirable blog and reading this post and through your archives was interesting. I couldn't resist the temptation to do just that. The more scope it gave to my mind although I was hoping to read and leave quietly without surprising you with any comment. Perhaps you will be inviting me back sometime if you think a counter visit is worth one infringement of your normal routine? I'll look out for your arrival. Until then, take care.

btw: have you seen or read the master and margarita?

Literary Feline said...

Books seem to be popping up in dreams a lot lately! I had one last week, as a matter of fact. The Jane Eyre dream is really funny--although I'm sure when you were in the middle of it, it wasn't so pleasant.

Bybee said...

Jeane,
I just read your CW dream...poor Charlotte! All her hard work, and you want Wilbur to eat it? LOL!

Eva,
Grad school must be stressing you out. That's cool that your dreams are so vivid...except the sick ones, of course.

Heather J.,
It's true...addled as can be.

Lisa,
I hope you don't have nightmares on a regular basis.

Ambearo,
After he hit me/Jane Eyre, I turned away because I'm/she's so gentle and refined, but that's when the fantasies about Bertha returning from the dead started coming on.

Care,
I never minded subbing, so it's strange that it was a bad experience in my nightmare.

Jenclair,
I have that clothing/teaching nightmare, too.

Susan,
I don't remember exactly what Mr. R looked like, but I have a vague recollection of dark and curly hair...I was too pissed off at him for gambling.

Bybee said...

LitFeline,
That's funny how a lot of us are dreaming bookishly!

Anonymous said...

Your Jane nightmare is hilarious. The bookstore turned into a bar? Terrifying.