Saturday, August 16, 2008

That Elusive Number



I wasn't sure about joining another challenge, but I'm past 65 books this year, and feel like I've got a good shot at finally reading 100 books. Wish me luck; I'll need it.

I have a question: I read Ex Libris twice in 2008. When you re-read a book during the same year, do you count it once or twice in your reading totals?

Speaking of Ex Libris, that's what we're reading for the BOOKLEAVES meeting on August 24. On September 7, we'll be discussing Persuasion by Jane Austen followed by a viewing of The Jane Austen Book Club. We've decided to try doing a book/movie theme every now and again and see how that goes. If you just happen to be in Seoul on either of those dates...

The Omnivore's Dilemma has started appearing on shelves in bookstores over here, and 2 of my co-workers each have a copy! Stay tuned as I try out various degrees of pleading and cajoling and see which one I can irritate the quickest or the most.

CanadaBoy is outta here tonight, Gumi in his rearview mirror. To mourn the occasion, I'm reading Canadian, namely Anne Of The Island by L.M. Montgomery. This is book 3 of the series, and Anne is in Nova Scotia, going to college and sharing a house with her school chums with occasional trips home to PEI. I'm really getting attached to these characters.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure, count the book twice. You probably got something different from it so it would count as its own experience, yes? and if you were to count it if you had years inbetween then it doesn't matter if a decade or ten minutes. GOod luck on 100! I'm surpassed my goal already, too.

Marg said...

I'd definitely count it twice!

Anonymous said...

I'd count it twice! You read it twice, you probably appreciated it twice and your understanding and knowledge are even deeper than if you'd read another book once.

J.L. Danger said...

I would count the book twice! You read it twice!

I keep hearing great things about the Omnivore's Dilemma.

Bybee said...

Care,
That's great news...what number are you on? I know it's silly to focus on numbers, but..what number are you on???

Marg,
I added it to my list again. Thanks!

Mandi,
I respect your opinion immensely!

J.Danger,
I do count re-reads, but I've never had a situation where I re-read in the same year while also keeping track.

I really enjoyed The Botany Of Desire, so I know I'll like The Omnivore's Dilemma.

darkorpheus said...

100 in a year?! I tried that a few years back and found it impossible - not with work and a social life anyway.

But I say go for gold anyway!

"Ex Libris" should be counted twice - because we should be re-reading more. :)

Bookfool said...

You read it twice, so it counts twice. I see I'm not alone in that opinion. :) Good luck on reaching 100. I'm shooting for 125 and am at 84, right now. I think I'm going to fall short of my goal . . . we'll see.

Sam said...

Definitely count the book twice because I guarantee you that you always experience a different book the second time around for any book.

Sarah said...

I loved the Anne books!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

ok, totally unrelated to this post ...

I finally got around to reviewing Eat Pray Love and answering your question from Weekly Geeks in July (sorry it took so long!) Here's the link if you want to check it out.

Tara said...

Good luck with reaching 100 - for some reason I haven't been able to break 80...and count that book twice!

You've got to read The Omnivore's Dilemma. Fabulous.

Lisa said...

I would definitely count it twice. I look at it as the number of books I've read, not the number of titles I read.

Anonymous said...

If you read it twice, count it twice. It's never the same book.

The Omnivore's Dilemna! [smacks forehead] I've got that on my TBR shelves and I'm picking up two books today from the library. No wonder that stack doesn't seem to be diminishing.

Unknown said...

I agree with counting it twice. You read it two times so....

Good luck with 100.

Susan said...

ditto me - count that book twice! and...*sniff* you can tell your tough and cool inner Bookworm that you are way cooler than I am because I'm not sure I'm going to reach my goal of 80 books this year (achieved only once as an adult so far!) and you are going to be over 100.....so I'll be your cheering section! "rah rah Sue's our girl, 100 books, go-o-o!" or something like that :-) Seriously, if I were there, I'd take you and your inner bookworm out to dinner to celebrate!

Lezlie said...

Absolutely count it twice! 100+ "New" Books in a Year could be a completely different challenge. :-) Good luck in your quest!

Lezlie

Anonymous said...

I would count the book twice, as well. Have you snagged a copy of The Omnivore's Dilemma yet?