Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Reading A Mystery

CanadaBoy's mother is so nice! She sent a box of books to CanadaBoy, and she included one for me. It's called Blow Fly. The author is Patricia Cornwell.

Slight problem: I really don't like mysteries very much. They're too plot-driven. When I'm reading fiction, I like it to be more character-driven. But I've heard great things about Patricia Cornwall and her creation, forensic scientist Dr. Kay Scarpetta. My interest is piqued. I'd like to give this mystery a try.

I'm worried that I'll have it at the back of my mind all the time that I'm reading ewww! a mystery, so I'm making plans to protect my enjoyment of the book against the twisted workings of my bookwormy mind. Since I really enjoy true crime (like Ann Rule's books for example) and other nonfiction, I'm going to go into Blow Fly with the idea that Dr. Kay Scarpetta is a real person, and that the case in this book is a real one.

This is a new and untested reading strategy for me, but it should work. Wish me luck! I'll report back when I've completed Blow Fly.

2 comments:

Anji said...

How did you get on? I was given a pile of books a couple of years ago, some of which weren't my type at all. I set out to read them all and was pleasantly suprised

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

So what do you think of the Jasper Fforde Tuesday Next novels, like The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book, The Well of Lost Plots, and Something Rotten? They are a wonderful treat for true book lovers.