Friday, September 02, 2005

Rodney

While riding the train one evening, I met a woman who used to be a high school English teacher back in the U.S. During the course of our conversation, I asked her if she likes to read. She said she did, then she mentioned a former co-worker named Rodney. She said that he has more than 200 books at his workplace, and that people come and borrow them all the time.

200 books? All in one place? That made me smile. Of course, a shadow of doubt crossed my mind, as it always does. What if it's all crap? I shook my head resolutely, and decided that in a pile of 200 books, there would have to be a gem or two...or twenty. Right?

This woman told me where she used to work, where Rodney works. I saw the place the other day, coming home on the bus. Yee haw! Now, I've just got to meet Rodney. I'm bound to run into him in some sort of social setting. Can I control my book lust enough to keep me from barging into his workplace with a hearty smile and a good-sized empty bookbag? Stay tuned.

No comments: