Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Feeling Naked and Forlorn

I've taken some things over to my new apartment. I can't move in for 3 more weeks (well, 2 weeks and 6 days, but who's counting?) ; the reason is because it's a brand-new building and the heating system won't be done till the end of February.

So what did I take? Clothes, shoes, purses. Some family pictures. I also took some books over:

Amish Society (4th Edition) by John Hostetler
Summer by Edith Wharton
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Sickened by Julie Gregory
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

I have a desk that has a little one-row bookshelf built in, so I don't have to either buy (or dumpster-dive) a bookshelf for a few weeks.

I purposely left half of my books behind for the remainder of my stay in Shanghai's apartment. I don't know why; I really don't need them, since Shanghai has plenty to read. (I'm currently enjoying her copy of The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan.) All I could think as I was stuffing books in my backpack for the trip to the new apartment was this: "I need some of my books here. I'll feel naked without my books." (In my mind, I was pronouncing 'naked' as 'nekkid', which to me, is even more naked than nay-ked.)

Here are the books that I kept here with me:
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Teaching In Action (an ESL guide to troubleshooting in classrooms)
The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn

Intellectually, I know that I can live for 2 weeks and 6 days without those other books that are over in the apartment, but only 24 hours after leaving them there, I feel a vague uneasiness that could easily mushroom into queasiness.

"Do you think they'll be OK over there by themselves?" I asked Shanghai.

"What?"

"My books, in the apartment."

"Oh sure," said Shanghai. "They won't be lonesome; they've got each other for company. But," she added, "you might have to clean up after the party."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I happened across this thru a link on the BC site. WOW! No wonder the book releases in my area have been null and void lately. It looks as if our favorite BCer moved...not only out of town...but across the ocean! I hope you are enjoying your new home and good luck to you in all you do!