Saturday, December 11, 2004

Happy Bookstore Birthday

Today was my birthday, my first alone in a foreign country. What's a booklover like me to do? I took the train to Daegu, which is about 30 minutes away. Daegu is a desirable location because there is Kyobo bookstore, a huge bookstore with a small but really nice English language books section. I was in heaven. I've been feeling so bookstore-deprived that I didn't even mind the crowd in that particular section and the fact that there's nowhere to plant your butt to read a few pages.

I dithered among several books, but finally chose CHRISTINE by Stephen King. It's one of his that I haven't read yet, and I think it'll be fun. Then I'll probably put it in a book swap at the next ESL teacher meet up on January 8.

They did have A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN as well, but I'm being stingy with myself so that I can make another trip to the bookstore soon and buy another book, which will most likely be A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN.
.
Other books that I saw that I'm considering are: THE BROTHERS KARAMOTZOV by Dostoyevsky, THE WARDEN by Anthony Trollope , ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand , THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES by Sue Monk Kidd, GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING by Tracy Chevalier, and PASSING (1929) and QUICKSAND (1928) both novels by Nella Larsen, an African-American writer who was popular during the height of the Harlem Renaissance. This writer is a new discovery for me & I'm really quite excited.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.