Sunday, March 07, 2021

February's Reads: Bring Out The Laura. Bring Out The Self-Help



So yeah, February. I was feeling a bit wild and scrabbly in the brain, and we won't even TALK about how much Imodium I ate. It's really true what they say about the gut being the second brain. Sometimes it's nothing but a bully and muscles the brain out of its rightful position.

But enough of the crap chronicles. Things are better now. 

So anyway: I moved. 17 miles west. New apartment. Cat-friendly. It's got a lovely, cottage-y feel. 

I've finally unpacked alllllll the boxes and the very newest incarnation of the Bybeeary is in place. No, that's not exactly true. What I mean to say is that the books have been flung onto the shelves and want a good rearranging.

Even with all the craziness that comes with a move, I still found time to read. Three books. I staggered and fell into the books and with baleful stares, dared anyone to pull me out before the appropriate time.

Atomic Habits - James Clear. Nonfiction.

These Happy Golden Years - Laura Ingalls Wilder. Fiction.

The Long Winter - Laura Ingalls Wilder. Fiction.

I liked Atomic Habits because it's self-help, and the message about small changes bringing about big changes reminded me of Kaizen, which soothed and entertained and inspired me two years ago. In a way, it was like a re-read. The two Wilder books, of course, were actual re-reads. I was especially feeling The Long Winter during February's Deep Freeze. March has started out much the same: I read another self-help book, The Essentialists and another Little House book, Little Town on the Prairie, but I think the spell is broken. 

I'm now reading a biography of James Baldwin on my Kindle, but I might not finish because I haven't yet located my Kindle charger. I know I put it somewhere...

3 comments:

Jeane said...

Moving's so much work! I hope you feel settled in and comfortable soon. Rearranging and organizing all the books in a new place can be a lot of fun, if you wait for a time when you feel like diving into it.

Sam said...

Congratulations on the move. That's a huge chore to have behind you.

As for the books, one of my favorite things in the world these days is to rearrange my book shelves into some new configuration that only I understand. Does, though, drive my wife a bit crazy. :-)

Ted said...

With technologies such as augmented, holographic, and virtual reality coming to the fore of public consciousness thanks to a number of upcoming high profile consumer products, there is a clear interest in Tech365 Media as well as future and emerging technology. The result is top notch attention to your clients.