Thursday, April 30, 2020

Bybee's Endless Wishlist: April, 2020




I bought this blank journal back in 2009, thinking that it would be the next volume of What I've Read, but somehow, it became my Wishlist.

 (Somehow = I was going through a lofty, pretentious cycle, and suddenly, nothing would do for recording my reading posterity but a Moleskine journal.)

Wishlist is a great journal. The cover is black pleather, embossed with hieroglyphics.The endpapers resemble the cover. It's comforting just to hold it in my hand and rhythmically trace my fingers across the cover, so it shouldn't be a surprise that I've been holding it in my hand a lot more lately and filling its pages with titles I hope to read one day. Filling and filling and FILLING! Because I didn't buy/check out a single book this month! All that habit, all that longing went into an endless wishlist.

In no particular order, here is the list for April, 2020. Sometimes I made little notes to myself:

Miles Franklin biography. Author: ? (Saw at Seattle Public Library. Standing next to farting woman.)

Devil in the Details: Scenes from an Obsessive Girlhood - Jennifer Traig.

A Journal of the Plague Year - Daniel Defoe.

Anna Kavan Books:
A Charmed Circle (1929)
Let Me Alone (1930)
The Dark Sisters (1930)
A Stranger Still (1935)
Asylum Piece (1940)
Change the Name ((1941)
I am Lazarus (1945)
Sleep Has His House AKA The House of Sleep (1947)
The Horse's Tale (1949)
A Scarcity of Love (1956)
Eagle's Nest (1957)
A Bright Green Field and Other Stories (1958)
Who Are You? (1963)
Ice (1967)
Julia and the Bazooka (1970) Published posthumously.

A Stranger on Earth: The Life and Work of Anna Kavan - Jeremy Reed. (biography)

Books by Patricia Bosworth:
Montgomery Clift: A Biography
Anything Your Little Heart Desires: An American Family Story (memoir)
The Men in My Life: Love and Art in 1950s Manhattan (memoir) Oh God...where is my time machine?

Lincoln on the Verge (nonfiction) Ted Widmer.

Redhead By the Side of the Road - Anne Tyler. 

The Plague - Albert Camus

Alex Trebek memoir (July, 2020)

Pale Horse, Pale Rider (novella) Katherine Anne Porter. (Takes place during the 1918 pandemic!)

A Face Like Yours (novel) -Frances Cha- (Takes place in South Korea)



Novels by women published in the 1930s:
Not So Quiet - Helen Zenna Smith. 1930. Novel about WWI female ambulance drivers.
The Shutter of Snow (1930) -Emily Holmes Coleman. (A woman spends time in a mental hospital after the birth of her baby)
Women Against Men (trio of novellas) (1933) -Storm Jameson-
Novel on Yellow Paper - Stevie Smith (1936)
South Riding - Winifred Holtby (1936)
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (1937) -Winifred Watson-

If It Bleeds -Stephen King

Alice Adams Novels:
Careless Love AKA The Fall of Daisy Duke (1966)
Families and Survivors (1974)
Listening to Billie (1978)
Rich Rewards (1980)
Superior Women (1984)
Second Chances (1988)
Caroline's Daughters (1991)
Almost Perfect (1993)
A Southern Exposure (1995)
Medicine Men (1997)
After the War (2000) (posthumously published)

Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 (novel) - Cho Nam-Joo

Guts (memoir) - Kristen Johnson (Tammy on Mom)


I'm Your Huckleberry (memoir) -Val Kilmer

Old Lovegood Girls (novel) -Gail Godwin-

My Sister, The Serial Killer -Oyinkan Braithwaite- (novel)

Year of Wonders (novel) - Geraldine Brooks- (Plague Novel. 1688?)

Ecstasy & Me: My Life as a Woman (memoir) - Hedy LaMarr -

The King of Confidence (nonfiction) - Miles Harvey (James Strang, Mormon sect leader 1840s?)

The Betrayal of the Duchess (nonfiction) -Maurice Samuels

Charles Jackson biography by Blake Bailey: Farther and Wilder

Home Work - Julie Andrews (memoir)

My Dark Vanessa (novel) Author ???

Ducks, Newburyport (novel) - Lucy Ellmann (keep an eye on Care's progress reports)

Kopp Sisters series (novels) - Amy Stewart-

LBJ - Caro

 An odd and interesting list. Maybe a little demented. You can see patterns in the old bookworm brain. I sent my spawn the photos and he wrote back: "Is this your Mothers' Day gift list?"

Next post: What I read in April.

2 comments:

Sam said...

That is one hell of a list, Susan. I found it particularly interesting because it includes books from so many 20th century decades. I came into 2020 intending to go back and read some of what I missed from those years, but this pandemic thing has made that a little more difficult to do. Still working on it, though, and in fact, I'm about to start Pale Horse, Pale Rider myself.

Oh, and I'm about 30% of the way through My Sister the Serial Killer, and I'm enjoying that one. Not real sure what to think of it yet, but it has kept me turning pages, and right now that's a good thing. I can also vouch for Year of Wonders. I'm a fan of Geraldine Brooks and this is one of my favorites of hers.

Bybee said...

Thanks for your guidance, Sam! Hope you and your family are doing well.