Saturday, October 18, 2014

All Day and All of the Night


Last Update!

End of Event Meme:
  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Hour 9 settled my hash for a while.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?  Roddy Doyle's quartet of novels about the Rabbitte family of Dublin -- The Commitments, The Snapper, The Van and The Guts.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?  No
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?  Firming up deadlines. Switching out hosts.
  5. How many books did you read? 2
  6. What were the names of the books you read?  Dispatches From The Edge by Anderson Cooper and The Homesman by Glendon Swarthout.
  7. Which book did you enjoy most?  The Homesman.
  8. Which did you enjoy least?  Both books were first-rate.
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?  N/A
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?  I'll be in a different place next spring, where people will be puzzled and/or offended that I would take 24 hours 'just to read books', but I am a bookworm, and bookworms always find a way.  I'm cooking up a scheme even as I write this.
***

5th Update:
Only 90 minutes left.  Powered by a chocolate bar, I just finished The Homesman, a deserved Spur Award winner back in the late 1980s.  All that reading's got me hungry.  I'm thinking about my homemade chili.

***

4th Update:
Mid-event survey:

1. What are you reading right now?  The Homesman, by Glendon Swarthout. 

2. How many books have you read so far?  I'm on book #2.


3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?  The Homesman is a little twist on the pioneer stories I love, and there's a strong female lead character, so I'm looking forward to finishing it.  Supposed to be a movie version soon.  Great!


4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?  Conditions are ideal, but I got k.o.'ed by The Sandman for 5 hours.  I chafe at my limitations...oh well, this means I'll be sharp when others are weeping with fatigue.


5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?  Can't think of anything.  It's all good.


***

3rd Update:
SEVEN hours in?! Really!  I haven't read anything since my last update.  I haven't slept, either.  Just puttering around and charging my Kindle, which I forgot to do before we got started.  I also ate an apple. Now the Kindle is showing a green light, so back to reading.

***

2nd Update:
4 hours done.  I just finished Dispatches From the Edge.  Not an easy read, so I'm not sure what to read next.  I've got to make a decision soon, because I'm starting to feel the familiar tiredness. My mind and body are telling me to go for the pajamas.  They're telling me the softness, most snuggly pair.  No, I won't do it.

***

Update:
2.5 hours in.  Page 125 of Dispatches From the Edge.  It's not a long book and it's written in straightforward language, but Cooper's themes are personal loss, war, natural disasters, starvation, and disaster, so it's not the sort of book one breezes through.  I decided to stop and make myself some tea, which somehow became hot chocolate.

***

OK, now it begins!  Here's the opening meme from the Readathon hosts:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?  Busan, South Korea.  It's 9 pm, straight up!

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?  Not sure yet.  I'm beginning with Anderson Cooper's memoir "Dispatches From the Edge".


3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?  Apples...and chocolate.


4) Tell us a little something about yourself!  Oooh, having an attack of shyness.  Don't know what to say!  I'm a longtime Readathoner, since the days of Dewey.  I still miss her.


5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?  I've been having trouble staying awake the last few Readathons, so I banned pajamas and a pre-Readathon hot shower this time.  And bananas.   Maybe that'll help. ETA: I'm also doing updates on Twitter for the first time @susanandbooks

8 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Apples as a snack? Good girl!

Have a great readathon!

If you need a little singing boost as you read along: Here's Singing My Way Through the Readathon!

Melwyk said...

Good luck with your overnight reads, and great plan to avoid the pyjama trap... :) Hope you have some exciting reading to keep you going!

Melwyk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melwyk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry Ann said...

In South Korea! You're getting ready to stay up all night now (right?!) I bought the Anderson Cooper book at a library sale last month - look forward to reading it. Good luck!

Katja (@eeyorenyk) said...

Hang in there dear reader! We’re almost halfway through the readathon and we can do it for another 12 hours!

Xoxo Katja #TeamButler

Unknown said...

Nice job! Enjoy the rest of your #readathon!

--Janel from #TeamHughes

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

You are a long time Readathoner! I never got to know Dewey, but she's why I started book blogging in the first place. I accidentally stumbled on her blog a year or so before I started blogging, and up until then I didn't even know book blogging was a thing. I finally started my own blog so that I could do her Readathon. I love how those that knew Dewey have kept this event going in her honor!

Keep on reading through the night,
Keep on reading until the morning light!
Ra-ra-readathon!

#TeamHughes